Sunday, April 25, 2010

Learning

Creating a learning screen is something that I have never done before, but I feel that it is a very effective way of gaining a higher understanding of a subject like electronic literature. I think that the learning screen is perfect for a topic like this because it directly involves the component of technology, which is absolutely essential for electronic literature. The learning screen also makes it easy to use images alongside text. Images can often express ideas much better than words, and finding images online and linking them to a blog or website is much easier than incorporating images into a formal research paper. The experience of creating a learning screen is also beneficial for revising, as it can be edited at any time. This allows the student to go back and make changes without having to completely revise a paper and reprint it. The changes are made immediately, and can be seen by people all around the world.

I have written many research papers, and I am very familiar with that format. It was difficult for me to get into the groove of creating a learning screen, but once I figured it out there were no major problems. This experience has opened my eyes to the importance of using technology in the classroom to add variety and to help students learn in a way that suits them. Many students may have a lot of trouble writing a formal research paper, but they may be able to post online more efficiently than their teacher. Finding a student's strength area and using it to benefit them makes learning more fun and engaging. A learning screen allows a student to put some of their personality behind their work, as there are many different blog layouts and settings that make each blog or webpage unique. The creative aspect of the research paper is still present, but the form is more flexible and allows for even more creativity. I think that while a research paper is still a good way to explore a subject, learning screens enable a new way of thinking about and presenting information that can be useful when talking about a subject that is harder to pin down. This experience has opened my eyes to the world of technology in the classroom, and I plan on using some of what we have learned this semester in my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment